Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Geog 338: Lab 7


Lab 7: Photogrammetry 

Melissa Hackenmueller

Goals and Background
            The overall goal of this lab was to develop the skills needed to perform photogrammetric tasks on aerial photographs and satellite images. The goals were further separated into three parts. The goal of the first part of this lab was to ensure my understanding of photographic scales, measurement of areas and perimeters of features on an image, and calculation of relief displacement. The second portion of this lab was to increase my knowledge of stereoscopy and its uses. The last goal of this lab was to perform orthorectification on satellite images.

Methodology
Part 1
The first section of part one was designed to improve the calculation of photographic scales. The first step was to determine the distance between A and B on an image (Eau_Claire_West-se.jpg) which I measured as 2.7 inches (see figure below).



The Actual distance between the two points was measured with an engineer’s chain to be 8,822.47 feet. The following math was done and the result was a scale of 1: 39,210.98 for the image.
Actual distance: 8822.47 ft.
Photo: 2.7 inches
8822.47 ft x 12 = 105,869.6 in
2.7 in / 105,869.6 in                            divide numerator and denominator by 2.7
Scale is 1:39,210.98
The next question was also to find a photographic scale, but using the equation S= f /H –h this time. The following calculations were done to determine the scale to be 1:38,519.
            F = 152 mm /10/100 = 0.152 m *3.28 = 0.49856 ft
            H = 20,000 ft amsl
            h = 796 ft
            S = 0.49856 ft / (20,000 ft – 796 ft)   divide numerator and denominator by 0.49856 ft
            Scale is 1:38,519
The goal of the next section of part one was to determine the area and perimeter of a pond on an aerial image. Using the polygon measure tool, I carefully digitized the outline of this pond in order to get an area and perimeter (Fig. 1). The digitizing of the pond yielded an area of 37.6880 hectares and a perimeter of 4,063.42 meters. The last section of part one was calculating relief displacement of a smoke stack in an Eau Claire image (see figure below).


Tall objects are distorted in aerial photographs and the equation, d= h x r / H, is used to calculate relief displacement, which is the distance the object needed to be moved towards the principal point in order to fix the distortion. The following calculations gave a relief displacement of 0.228 inches on the smoke stack.
          H = 3,980 ft x 12 = 47,760 in
            h = 0.4 x 3,209 = 1,283.6 in
            r = 8.5 in
            d = 1283.6 in x 8.5 in / 47760 in = 0.228 in
            Relief displacement is 0.228 inches
Part 2
            The goal of part two of this lab was to generate a three dimensional image using a digital elevation model and LiDAR derived surface model. In order to accomplish this two images were needed. I imputed ec_city.img and ec_dem_2.img into Erdas Imagine. I then used the Anaglyph Terrain tool to create a stereoscopic image. The input DEM, input image, and output fields just need to be filled in and then the defaults can be used to create a new image. I then did the same processes to create a stereoscopic image with a LiDAR DSM image. 
Part 3
            The final part of this lab is orthorectification. Erdas Imagine Lecia Photogrammetric Suite will be used. The tasks of this section included creating a new project, select a horizontal reference source, collect GCPs, add a second image to the block file, collect another set of GCPs, perform automatic tie point collection, triangulate the images, orthorectify the images, view the orthoimages, and save the block file. I started by opening IMAGINE Photogrammetry in the toolbox tab of Erdas Imagine. I then choose create a new block file from the project manager that is open. I saved the output image in my desired location, chose polynomial-based pushbroom for geometric model, selected SPOT Pushbroom, and then hit okay to finish the model setup. Next, the block property setup dialog opens. I chose UTM as the projection type, Clarke 1866 as the spheroid name, NAD27(CONUS) as the datum name, 11 as the UTM Zone, North as the field, and then hit okay to conclude the set up. The next step is to add the imagery to the block. To do this I chose the add frame icon from the block project tree view, making sure that the images folder is highlighted beforehand. The image file name dialog is now open and I added the image Spot_pan.img. I next went to the SPOT pushbroom frame editor to ensure that the parameters that I inputted earlier were correct, they were so I exited.
The next step is to start adding GCPs by clicking the start point measurement tool and using the classic tool. Next, I clicked the reset horizontal reference source icon to open the GCP reference source dialog. Choose the image layer button then move on to the reference image layer dialog and imput the image xs_ortho.img. I then choose use viewer as reference so the xs_ortho image displayed on the left and the original image on the right (see Fig. below).


To begin adding GCPs, I clicked add button in the point measurement tools and then the create point icon. I clicked on the road intersection desired on the reference image (xs_ortho.img) to input my first GCP. Once, I was happy with the first point, I added the point to the same spot on the original image (spot_pan.img). The first GCP was successfully added, so I followed the same procedure above for the next 8 GCPs. I then saved my work because the last two GCPs will be added from a different reference image. To add a new reference image click on the reset horizontal reference source icon again, this time I chose NAPP_2m_ortho.img as my reference. I added two more GCPs with this new reference image following the same structure as above. Now, a vertical reference source can be used to collect elevation information, I used the palm_springs_dem.img. I choose the reset vertical reference source icon this time and inputted the desired reference image. Once, the image was inputting I selected all of my Point # column and clicked on the update Z values of selected points icon, which updated the Z values based on the palm_springs_dem.img. The Figure below is what my X, Y, and Z reference columns now look like.

            The next section of this lab focuses on the set up before collecting tie points. First, the type and usage columns need to be filled out. I selected the type column and then choose formula from the column options. Here, I typed in “Full” and then hit apply. I repeated the steps above for the usage column, but typed “control” this time. Now that these columns are updated, I hit save and closed the point measurement tool. Next, I moved to the editing of the spot_panb.img by clicking the add frame icon and adding the image. I then highlighted row #2 and clicked the frame properties icon. The SPOT pushbroom frame editor opens, I hit okay to accept the parameters. Next, I used the point measurement tool to located the points that have already been collected from the first image, spot_pan, and plot them in the second image, spot_panb. I made sure to highlight point #1, before using the create point icon to add the points to the spot_panb image. Some of the points were not located on spot_panb.img, but I added all the similar points following the same procedure as above and then saved. My images now look like Figure 2.
            The next step is tie point collection, triangulation, and ortho resampling. From the point measurement tool palette I chose the automatic tie point generation properties icon. Then I used all available for image used, exterior/Header/GCP for initial type, set the image layer used for computation to 1, set the intended number of points/image field to 40, and hit run. This automatically set points tied to both images, my points now totaled 37. After I checked the accuracy of the points created, I saved them. Now, that all the tie points are found I can perform triangulation. On the IMAGINE photogrammetry project manager, I chose the Triangulation properties. I put the iterations with relaxation value to 3, the image coordinate units for report to pixels, the type of point to same weighted value, the x, y, z values to 15, then ran the triangulation, and saved it in an appropriate spot. I started the final process of ortho resampling by clicking on the ortho resampling process icon. I selected DEM as the source, inputted the palm_springs_dem.img, entered the output cell size to 10 for both x and y, saved the output file in an appropriate spot, ensured that the resampling method was bilinear interpolation, made sure to add both spot_pan.img and spot_panb.img, and then I hit okay to start the resampling process. Finally, I created a ortho resampled image (Figure 3).

Results
 
Figure 1. This image shows the points that I collected around the pond
in Eau Claire using the measurement tool to get an area and a perimeter.
Figure 2. This image shows the GCP points that I collected on
the spot_pan.img and then on the spot_panb.img.

Figure 3. This is my final image output after the process of ortho
resampling on both the spot_pan.img and spot_panb.img.

References
Digital Elevation Model (DEM) for Eau Claire, WI is from United States Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service, 2010.
Digital elevation model (DEM) for Palm Spring, CA is from Erdas Imagine, 2009.
Lidar-derived surface model (DSM) for sections of Eau Claire and Chippewa are from Eau Claire County and Chippewa County governments respectively.
National Aerial Photography Program (NAPP) 2 meter images are from Erdas Imagine, 2009.
National Agriculture Imagery Program (NAIP) images are from United States Department of   Agriculture, 2005.

Spot satellite images are from Erdas Imagine, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment